Well, now that I've had a couple of days to recover from my royal spanking, I can finally blog about the trip to Vegas. First of all, let me preface this post by saying that I had a fabulous time, and I am in no way permanently scarred by the abominable thing that happened to me in the World Series of Poker.

Now that that's out of the way, on to the recap!

We arrived in Vegas in the afternoon on Saturday. The first order of business was to head over to the Rio to cash in the chips I won a couple of weeks ago and exchange them for my seat to the Main Event! For those of you who don't know, the World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event is the final tournament of the month long series and is the second most expensive at $10,000 per person. I had won enough money on the last trip to Vegas to pay for the seat, so this was more or less a freeroll for me.

Becker was able to win a satellite that night as well, so he ended up playing for free as well! You can read his version of our trip on his blog.

The next day was the big event! We arrived a little early to check things out, find our tables, etc. The tournament has so many players that they have to put them not only in the convention center but also all over the casino floor! Here's a photo Becker shot of us right before we sat down to play:


See how happy I look? Trust me, it was short lived. I sat down at my table and immediately started quietly sizing up the other players. There are generally about 8 or 9 men and 1-2 women. At my Main Event table, there were people there from all over the world so the ratio was more like three Americans, two French, one French Canadian, one Irish, one British, one Spanish speaking person from a country I could not determine who spoke poker very well but not a word of English, and one Chinese.

**warning--poker talk ahead**

Anyway, the cards started flying and although I was nervous, I started the rhythm of folding cards and playing the game. It wasn't too long before I looked down and saw pocket aces! Because it was so early, I decided just to play it straightforward, so I was happy to put in a nice raise. The Irish guy in middle position called, and the player on the button also called. The flop came out A 9 4, giving me top set, no straight draw, no flush draw. I made a good, pot sized bet. The player in middle position raised, and the player on the button folded. At that point, I knew that I had the best hand, and I figured he had AK or something like that. So I raised again, just wanting to take the pot down here, but he pushed all in! I insta-called, because I knew that I had the best hand possible for that board. He flipped over pocket 4's, giving him bottom set, which I was thrilled to see. The turn came a rag (a card that helped neither of us), giving me a 99% chance of winning the hand. But then the unthinkable happened...the fourth 4 came on the river giving him quads.

It was a moment that will forever be replayed in slow motion in my head, since it took me less than a second to be out of my seat and out the door after that slap in the face.

And thus ended my first main event.

The horror. The devestation. The cruelty of it all. Oh poker gods, why do you frown on me???!!!

So I basically went into hiding. Becker was still playing for the next two days, so I did have fun watching, but I couldn't get the bad beat out of my head.

I did, however, manage to go on to win another tournament at the Mirage, which was cool!:


So, that was that. Hopefully I will have better luck next year, because I don't think it really gets much worse than that!